How to Apply
NOTE: Information for Canadian students interested in applying to the UWC movement is available on the UWC – National Committee of Canada website.
Apply as a Canadian
The UWC National Committee of Canada welcomes applications from students in all provinces and territories in Canada who are Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents or residents of Canada (minimum residency of 12 months).
Applications will close 15 November 2017 for entry in 2018. To learn more about how to apply, click here.
If you have questions about applying that are not answered on the National Committee of Canada website please contact General Inquiries by email. If you have particular questions about applying from Quebec, you can contact email@example.com.
We prefer applicants to be in Grade 11 when they apply. For entry in 2018, this means being in Grade 11 as of September 2017. Applicants should be 16 or 17 years old as of September 2018.
- Canadian students interested in attending Pearson College UWC should follow the same application process as those who wish to attend other UWC schools.
- To give you a brief idea of the types of students we are looking for, descriptive words include: determined, curious, fearless, ambitious, open, bright, collaborative, disciplined, can-do, indefatigable, generous, kind, and so on.
- As our academic program follows the challenging International Baccalaureate, successful applicants should feel comfortable in an academic environment.
Applicants from the province of Quebec must
- Be 16 or 17 years old in September 2018.
- Be in secondary 5 in September 2017, or be completing a year of volunteer work (or other applicable experience) before starting their CEGEP studies.
- The UWC National Committee of Canada processes all eligible applications with the help of provincial and territorial UWC selection teams. It is these teams that conduct the student selection for all UWCs, including Pearson.
- The UWC National Committee of Canada and the selection committees look for students who are inspired by the UWC movement and have a genuine desire to be part of it.
- A short list of applicants is chosen for personal interviews with each selection team — successful candidates are selected from those interviewed.
- The Heads of College at each UWC generally accepts recommended candidates, but they reserve the right of final acceptance.
Apply as a Non-Canadian
If you would like to attend Pearson or any UWC, but you are not a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or resident of Canada, please apply through the UWC national committee in your home country. You will find contact information for national committees on the UWC website. Please note that national committees in other countries may have different application deadlines than Canada.
If you have two or more nationalities, you must apply through one national committee only.
- 15 August 2017: Applications for the 2018/20 two-year program open.
- 15 November 2017: Applications for 2018/20 close.
- December 2017-January 2018: Shortlisted applicants are contacted and interviews with provincial and territorial selection teams are scheduled.
- February-March 2018: Decisions and Nominations discussed with candidates.
- End of August 2018: UWC Schools or Colleges begin (with the exception of Waterford Kamhlaba UWCSA).
10 things applicants should know
- Be yourself. A cliché, maybe, but true. It will impress us most if the application accurately reflects who you are.
- It’s OK to reveal your weaknesses as well as your strengths. We’re looking for passion, conviction and commitment, not perfection.
- We’re interested in the depth of your involvement with your interests, not a shopping list of your achievements. Be detailed, thorough, thoughtful and reflective on the application.
- Save the certificates, portfolios, DVDs and so on for the interview stage.
- Acknowledge the possibility that you may not be accepted. The number of spaces available at UWC is limited.
- Remember: this application is for all UWCs, not just Pearson College UWC.
- This is not a competition. If you’re applying because UWC is hard to get into rather than out of a true desire to attend, consider other options.
- If you want to see if you’re a good fit for UWC, take a look around at the information and stories on the Pearson College UWC website and on the websites of other UWC schools.
- What are the characteristics of the ideal UWC candidate? It is impossible to describe one single idea but here are some characteristics UWC students tend to have in common.
- Start the application early, make yourself a note to remember!